BBA Scholar's Program
Mission of the BBA’s Scholars Program
The Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida (“BBA”) is pleased to invite rising 2L/ rising 3L law students in the Southern District of Florida to apply to participate in the BBA’s Scholars Program. The Scholars Program is designed to provide opportunities for law students interested in practicing bankruptcy law by receiving mentorship, learning legal concepts and applying them in the real world, networking with the BBA’s community of professionals, and participating in summer programming, including attending and volunteering at the BBA’s Annual Retreat, which will be held this year from June 2, 2023, through June 4, 2023, at the Ritz Golf Resort in Naples, Florida.
At the conclusion of the summer term, all scholars should find that the Scholars Program enhanced their knowledge of bankruptcy law, professional development, and ties to the South Florida community.
About the BBA’s Scholars Program
This program will award up to five (5) law student applicants.
Term: The Scholars Program will last approximately 3 months (mid-May to mid-August) but does not require a full-time commitment during the Term, as further detailed below. The Scholars Program is intended to supplement a Scholar’s job or summer internship commitment as the commitment is a few hours each week and most events will be held after working hours. If a Scholar does not have a job or summer internship lined up, assistance with a placement can be provided.
- Scholarships will be awarded for law students to attend the BBA’s Annual Retreat—which covers the Retreat’s registration fee, hotel stay for two (2) nights, and qualified reimbursement for travel.
- Networking and learning opportunities through BBA events during the summer
- Mentorship pairing with a BBA mentor
- Recognition at the Annual Retreat.
- Rising 2L or rising 3L students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school in the Southern District of Florida;
- Applicants should
- demonstrate strong academic and extracurricular accomplishments to date both overall and in bankruptcy specifically
- an interest in the practice of bankruptcy law,
- a commitment to the South Florida community;
- Intend on practicing bankruptcy law in South Florida upon graduation;
- Display a commitment to principles of civility, ethics and professionalism;
- Demonstrate commitment to the continued educational development of bankruptcy professionals and to professional activities that will benefit the public, members of the bar and the court system.
Participation Requirements During the Summer:
The prospective scholar must:
- Attend the Scholars introductory event
- Attend a total of four (4) summer events, to be held between May through July of 2023, including but not limited to—
- one (1) social event;
- one (1) court observation event;
- one (1) pro-bono clinic event, and
- one (1) community outreach event
- Attend the BBA’s Annual Retreat from June 2 – June 4, 2023—each scholar will participate as volunteer (either by facilitating check-ins for Retreat attendees, assisting moderators in break-out sessions, etc — participation will count towards the required community outreach event).
- Provided at least 15 pro-bono hours in the bankruptcy field during the Term.
STEP 1: Fill out the 2023 Application Form attached.
STEP 2: Gather all Supporting Documentation itemized below:
- Resume (must include GPA);
- Law School Transcript;
- One (1) academic or professional reference letter; and
- Personal Statement—please draft a response to the following prompt: Explain why you should be selected as a BBA Scholar and how your professional goals align with the BBA’s mission
- Word limit- Minimum 200 words, Maximum 350 words
- All documents (i.e. Application and Supporting Documents) must be attached via e-mail in pdf. format.
- The subject line must include: Last Name, First Name- BBA Scholar Applicant 2023.
Applications are due on or before March 20, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.; Scholars will be selected and announced by April 1, 2023.
A calendar list of the programmed summer events will be provided to each award recipient once the recipients are announced.